Sunday, June 8, 2008

Vesicoureteral Reflux

Vesicoureteral Reflux.
What on Earth is that?
What happenned to the light and fun blogs? First that tear jerker Memorial day one and now, a medical term?

This lovely hard to pronouce couple of words is what the medical professionals call the condition that our dear Audrey has. It is fairly common, just like Ben's club feet but you would never hear anything about it unless it was "happenning" to you or someone in your family. They both run in families. (not my side by the way--I'm all for genetic screening as a requirement for a marriage license.) Totally kidding. Dustin is worth all the genetic "extras." He is a total rock and I will love him forever.

But still, if truth be told, we have an extra toe, club feet and vesicoureteral reflux all genetically inherited from Dad's side. What did they get from me? Beautiful browns. A beautiful smile (once fixed by braces), what else? Not totally sure, but whatever it is, it is NOT a medical condition!

Anyway, back to VUR (vesicoureteral reflux). It is a condition where your urine does not flow out normally. The valves don't work properly and so it can flow back up to the kidneys. The main problem with this reflux is that it puts the kidneys at risk. At a very young infant age, it puts their whole little bodies at risk.

The Doctors prescribed daily (yes, you heard me right) antibiotics as a preventative measure against infection, and we are monitored at least yearly by a sonogram and an awful test called a VCUG, or a nuclear cystogram.

We just had our yearly test and it does not look good. Audrey's one kidney is smaller than the other and not looking true to shape. She has also seemed really fussy lately. And the Dr. now recommends a surgical procedure to fix the ureters and valves going into the bladder. It has a very high success rate but does not come without some signifant risks. And it is an awful recovery....two day minimum hospital stay and we are talking severe pain when you urinate for 7-10 days. I'm not sure I will ever be able to potty train her after that! So here I am stuck between two choices I don't like. Continue to do what I am doing and seriously risk losing a kidney, or have an awful surgery and risk all the dangers that involves, including internal bleeding or a failed repeat surgery.

I feel like my three year old must feel when I tell him he can either go to bed in his own bed or go to bed on the floor, but he has to go to bed. And he tells me he doesn't like those choices. I, like my little Andrew, am wondering if I hang on, will another choice will present itself? Just like when I give up and let Andrew come sleep with Dustin and I.

8 comments:

Mama Oak said...

Jen! How I wish you were here right now. We know about kidney problems here (the adult variety), we know of surgeries and hospital stays for little ones (the entire month of March for us) and you have my empathy as a mom trying to provide your little one with a life free of pain. You are in my prayers for clarity of course.
((HUGS))

JenJ said...

Cindy!
So nice of you to stop by. I am so sorry to hear about your March!!!!!!!
Thanks for your prayers!

Cathy said...

Cute Jen. Cute cute Jen. I don't know what to choose either...but you're one of the most faithful people I know so I know you'll know what to do. Our darling little Audrey made it to our website gallery for babies. The first pic because she is the cutest. Love you Jen.

Lara said...

What a little cutie she is--I'm sure it's so hard to imagine her having to endure any pain, even if it is for the greater good! I wish you the best (and pray for you) as you make your very difficult decision.

JenJ said...

Thanks Lara!
It is so great to see comments from you and to catch up on your blog stuff. I am just waiting for that peace to come, and I know it will.

Melanie said...

jen i have this! call me, amy has my number. i was born with a 3rd kidney and had the reflux with the valve on the extra kidney. had to have all my kids tested and it still ranks as one of my worst days. i had to have a test every 2 years from 3 till 12 until they finally determined that i had outgrown it. i feel your pain. call me.

JenJ said...

We totally need to talk! Thanks Mel!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Jen,
I am so sorry your little Audrey has to go through any of this. I hope and pray she (and you) will be OK.

Dove Self Esteem Fund