Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer Sensation Coupons!!

More than a couple people have asked us about our summer coupon program so I thought maybe someone out there would find it useful. My kids LOVE this. They seriously can't wait to start doing good things to earn coupons.

Here is what I do. I modified it from what they do at school all year:

I buy a box FULL of the things they love, everything they ask for all year and I say no. For us, this included magnet earrings at Claires, webkinz, toy spy equipment, Breyer horses, candy, etc. I throw in some family activity coupons like dates with Dad and trips to Six Flags and a local water park. Then everything in the box gets a pricetag in coupons. Webkinz are 100 (or I would have to buy one every day). Then I come up with a list of things the kids can do to earn coupons. Here is our list this summer with the number of coupons earned:


Saturday Chores 2
Clean 5 Windows 1
Vacuum a Room 1
Sweep Kitchen Floor 1
Pick up Playroom 2
Clean off Stairs 1
Do Dishes unload/load 2

Swimming (10 laps) 1
100 Jumping Jacks 1
50 Curl Ups 1
10 push ups 1
Run to Lake + 1 lap around 2
Bike 20 Lake Laps 3

Memorize 3 line scripture 3
5 pages Scriptures 2
Ben 2 pages 2
Prepare and teach FHE Lesson 2
Learn how to lead music 1
Memorize Article of Faith 1
Memorize current piano piece 2
Learn new piano song 1
Write Name (Andrew) 1
Learn Phone Number 1
Learn Address 1
100 pages in chapter book 1
Ben 20 pages 1
Any Research Report 1 Pg typed, 2 written 5
State or Country Report with visuals 5
Write Creative Story 5 pages 2
Ben Book Report 2
Art Project 2+ hours 3
Ben Journal 10 pages 2
Girls Journal 10 pages 1
Math Facts worksheet 10 pages 1

This works great for us. What are some of your summer plans for the kids? I am ALWAYS looking for new ideas.

9 comments:

Lara said...

What a fun idea and very timely too! I've been trying to figure out some kind of similar system for more productive use of our summer time. I think we'll give it a try!

JenJ said...

Let me know if it works for you, and if you modify it. I would love to learn more.

Mama Oak said...

You are so BRILLIANT! I am doing that today!
Cheers from VA:)

Mama Oak said...

ok, so I am a little techno challenged and just saw that my comment is listed as coming from "i am". Hmm. It is me, Cindy, and I am going to have to figure that one out. Until then, I am, "I AM". Ha!

Kelly Brooke said...

Jen, that is so smart. I am printing this off and saving it for when I ever get married and have kids. I love it!.

JenJ said...

Cindy, I totally already knew it was you from your cute blog. :)

I think it has something to do with the name you are logged in under. It is so fun to see you here and to be touching base with you.

JenJ said...

Kelly!!!
So why aren't you living down here with us???????

It is so fun to see you here. We MISS you!!

Melanie said...

i am SOOO trying this! thank you!

Blake said...

Hello Johnson family, and happy birthday Jen! I moved back to Star Valley about 4 years ago and recently ran into a guy that somehow new Brandon (my old roommate) and Nicki (Cathy’s old roommate) Christensen. Well, I looked them up online to see if I could get in touch and found their blog. They had a link to Kris and Cathy’s Blog, and Kris and Cathy had a link to yours. Whew. I don’t know why I felt the need to explain that. Anywho, I’m glad I stumbled across your blog, because it was so good to see the family...all grown up. Wow, how time flies. I don’t know if you still have the Johnson family reunions up here, but if so I hope to run into the family in person. I hope all is well and wish you all the best in the future.

Dove Self Esteem Fund