Saturday, March 14, 2009

ate o Po

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and I really lived."

This quote kind of reminds me of how I felt about coming home from my mission. I wanted to work and give everything that was in me so that they would have to carry me home. For some reason this quote also expresses the same feelings about really living my life as a Mother so in the end I have given all I have to give and i can arrive at those gates, worn out in His service.

side note: I don't mind if my toenails are painted when I get there. :)

4 comments:

Amy C said...

Great quote!

Minor Thought: Does all that stuff have to be going on at the same time?? I'm hoping the dirt under your fingernails will be gone when you're making peanut butter sandwiches for my kids.

Mama Oak said...

I LOVE that quote. That gives me patience and contentment for today:) Thanks for sharing that. PS: my word verification word is scrunshi. That reminds me that I probably will show up at the gates with my hair in one of those awful scrunchy pony tails that I seem to revisit all too often these days.

JenJ said...

Amy!!
You are so funny!! It is all figurative!! :) But you can be sure when I bring goodies over, they were made with scrubbed, germ free hands!! ;)Does it have to be PB &J? How about bagels and bread and ketchup??

Cindy, I'm with you on the hair. I went in for a cut and tried to get them to cut it too short for a ponytail and the stylist talked me out of it. :) Glad he did.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Jen.

I love that quote, thanks for it. And I want to come and see your beautiful boy in the flesh (we've been battling a variety of illness these last weeks, but better now.) How does me bringing you dinner Wed at 5ish sound??

Dove Self Esteem Fund