Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dustin's Mother's Day Talk...

Dustin gave a really great Mother's Day talk today. This is how he began his talk. I loved it.

Mother’s Day

It is a privilege to get to share with you my thoughts on mother’s and motherhood today. It is a privilege because I think I recognize at least to some extent, what an important role you mothers have in making life better, endurable, enjoyable and comfortable for everyone, and how grateful each of the rest of should be to you for your influence.

Two weeks ago, along with some of you, my wife Jen travelled to Utah to attend Women’s conference at BYU. I was excited that she would be able to relax a little, and be away from the pressures and responsibilities she carries here at home. So off she went.

She was gone only from Wednesday to Saturday. Not long. Shorter than many of the business trips many here take all the time. But during that time, I’m sure I’ve never been busier in my whole life. From waking the kids up in the morning for school, to making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, to driving the kdis to theature practice, baseball practice, and every other activity. To even curling Mandi’s hair for her theatre performance. Yes, both curlers and a curling iron. I had moments of frustration, anxiety, discouragement, tiredness, and hunger. When Jen called home and asked the kids how I was, they answered, “Oh, dad seems stressed.”

If I didn’t appreciate all Jen did before this, I learned to appreciate her then. After watching her give her time, her talents, and everything she can to guiding and rearing our children, I am convinced that there is no role in life more essential and eternal than that of motherhood.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Darn right, Dustin ;) Cute Dustin. I love it. Jen, you ARE awesome!! HAhahaha. The curling iron part killed me. Hilarious.

At least you trust him home alone with the kids. If I left Kris alone with Tofer, I would fear for his life (sick smile). Toddlers and absent-mindedness don't mix well.

Sarah said...

What a nice husband and commentary on you and your huge contribution to the family. Sounds like it was a good mother's day!

Kristydawn said...

so sweet. Aren't we lucky? have fun with my better half this weekend. Wish I could have come. I'm going to education week in august. never left the boys that long before.... should be interesting.
Love you guys.

JenJ said...

Hi everyone! Kristy, the kids were so excited to see Scott and we all miss you!!!!!!!

Lara said...

It's one of my favorite little side effects about having babies, to see Glen's attempt at doing the girls' hair while I'm in the hospital. It makes me smile every time to see the loose ponytails. I'm highly impressed that he used the curling iron though. I don't think Glen even knows how to turn mine on.

Kristi said...

ohhh Dustin's talk started getting me teary eyed!

Amy C said...

It was a great talk, Jen. Very touching.

Dove Self Esteem Fund