Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tell me the Secret

Hello again,
I have a question for all you mom experts out there. So, I will share a little conversation we had over here. Don't think worse of us, just know we are normal. :) Dustin is doing the dishes (love his dish habit!!!) And one of the kids wants to play with him. I tell him, "dishes can wait. at those pearly gates, Peter is not going to ask if your dishes were always clean." I said it with a smile, kind of joking-like. He said, "Well, if your house isn't clean, your kids aren't going to want to be here to be with you."

OK, so both good points. I agree with both. I am sure you are all thinking, "balance." But in those day to day decisions, how do you know what comes first? Mary, Martha. Play with kids, teach kids to clean house by example, etc etc.

I would love to hear your opinions on this when you get a minute.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Hmmm too hard of a question. My house is a pit :)

Lara said...

100% it's all about taking advantage of those moments. Yes houses need to be cleaned, but they're going to remember and treasure those fun spontaneous memories WAY more than they will having a clean (or messy house).

summer said...

I always come to you for help on things like this!! It seems there is a time to let things go and enjoy the moments - they do go so fast! However, tonight I noticed that we set the goal to quickly all clean up and get things done so we could all move onto the fun activity together.

Perhaps it is about embracing the moment with whatever feels best to do at the time...which isn't suppose to be the "safe Sunday School" answer, but it sounds a bit that way doesn't it?!

It's good to read your posts - I come to your blog for encouragement about life lessons quite often!

JenJ said...

I can't tell you how great it is to come here and see your comments. Thanks!!!!!!!!! :)

Kristydawn said...

I agree with summer. Get the kids to help clean up and then play, play, play. If that doesn't work, choose the kids first. I don't, but I wish I did.

Kids aren't going to remember clean or messy houses. THEY DON'T CARE! (darn-it - wish they did).

They will remember memories with Mom and Dad. Crazy, funny stuff you did together. Each circumstance is different... we just choose as we go. I should take my own advice. When did I get so smart? :)

Becky said...

Girl, if your husband is doing those dishes... don't ask him to stop. Let him keep on keepin on! YOU get to play if he's cleaning up!! :)

Melanie said...

Well, I'm a little late to the game, sorry! I'm just getting caught up on blogs. My two cents would be that I just think you can't have a black and white precident for things. If you find yourself doing housework and maybe a kiddo who has been asking all day to play wants you to stop and play it might be great to show him that they are more important in that moment than what you were doing. Other times it might be a good thing to have them understand what parents have to do to keep the house running, maybe even invite them to help. Nothing more insightful than the great advice you've always gotten, but I totally know how tricky it can be to always "choose the better part." And I think it's tricky because it's never the same thing twice:) Great question girl!

Dove Self Esteem Fund