Sunday, November 2, 2008

Share the Wealth!

I have been thinking alot about taxes lately and I am slightly bothered by the cartoon I posted. I LOVE it and think it is hilarious. But if taken seriously, it is not exactly how I feel. For example, I DON'T think that someone who has less than I do is lazy.

But I DO really think it should be my decision how I choose to share any small extra we might save up. I DO really LOVE to share. But how can I if the Government takes every last little bit I had to give to others? And then Congress votes on how to spend my hard earned precious dollars. They are precious because they could be used to help the women I love at our local Battered Women's Foundation or to send packages to our soldiers overseas or to feed the homeless in our shelter downtown or to give gifts at Christmas time to all the different Santa's Helper programs.....etc. I have treasured the little bit of extra we have had to share and felt such joy in giving. It has made all the difference in my life and some of the most valuable memories of my life. If you tax the heck out of a person, you take away all that freedom of choice and therefore the joy of giving and helping redistribute the wealth by personal preference. SO, there you have it, one more reason to vote REPUBLICAN!!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

i completley agree. i should never have my money taken from me in a way that implies that i wouldn't give, or that someone knows how to give my money away better than i do. and when things are set up like that, then those who DO abuse the system are set up to just wait around till their share comes. (which i think is what the comic was representing.) hard work and the rewards that come with is one of the founding principles of our nation. So is a country united under God but people are forgetting that one as well.

Sarah said...

Very good point. Outrageous taxes are not the answer.

There are people offended by that cartoon, but we must remember comedy is comedy because of exaggeration. It's OK to laugh at ourselves. SNL does is for the republicans weekly.

JenJ said...

Go Mel!!!!!!!

And Sarah you are totally right.
When I see Obama's plan, it places a HUGE burden on a large group of people who frankly may not be able to bear it and still contribute in positive ways to programs and communities and schools around them. We will suffer because of it.

Amy C said...

Very well said my friend.

Dove Self Esteem Fund