Friday, May 16, 2008

For the Garden Lovers Out There

Please humor me with a tour of my yard. To our left we see a very fun tree. Fun? :) Well, when I was a kid I used to climb a loquat tree in our backyard in Santa Barbara. And this specimin here is in fact a loquat tree. I have two of them. It is many years away from climbing but I hope it grows to fill my bathroom window with greenery.

Now here we see a Texas Lilac, which in my opinion is a butterfly bush. This is a remarkable plant. It was only 18 inches high when I planted it and grew bigger than this in one season. We cut it back significantly last Fall and here it is HUGE again. It will soon be filled with lavendar flowers, gorgeous, if we can just keep it off the walkway.

I had to throw in some shots of the kids.
To our left we have two summer squash and a zucchini plant. I am very excited to see these grow.

And here we have some onions. I planted two together and they look almost ready.

I planted several Texas peppers too and some Cilantro. Much less than last year, but more manageable.
Below are my tomatoes. We have
some green ones already and lots of flowers.

This white flower is amazing to me. I planted two Gardenia plants in my yard and they have survived many freezings but have not bloomed until now. I am so thrilled. There are buds all over them and they smell sooooo delicious! I am also on a rose experiment. I hear they do well in my part of the world. But at the moment, they all need to be trimmed. When that is accomplished, perhaps they will merit a post.....

4 comments:

Melanie said...

This has inspired me to do more with our backyard, but I know my motivation will wane...ever get the urge to do other people's landscaping?? let me know, I'll wait by the phone...

JenJ said...

Nope, no urges in that direction. :) I have lots more to do with mine. It is quite a trick to get anything to grow! But thanks for looking at all my plants.......

Cathy said...

Jen that's so fun! I LOVE that you have a garden. No fair. Having a garden here in Southern California would require plastic buckets, a flat roof, and a really cool landlord :) Unless of course, you have a few million for a house.

Lucky you! And the kids looks so great. I can't wait to see you guys in July.

Amy C said...

Love all you've done! And your backyard wouldn't be complete without your kids. Good call putting their pictures in.

Dove Self Esteem Fund