Monday, September 13, 2010

I worked out today!!!

I debated over whether this announcement should be a whole blog post or just a status update on facebook.  And I thought it was big enough news to write a paragraph or two about it...also, I don't want all my facebook friends to know I never work out. :)

So, I have been having some less than healthy couple of months. I won't go into details, but I am a bit concerned so I decide that finally in my 37th year, it is time to start working out.  But I need some serious advice here!!!!!

1.  It is so boring. I chose to walk with our jogging stroller and 18 month old around our neighborhood lake/pond.  It is a great little curcuit, some uphill and some down, but wow!!!! NOTHING to do but walk and walk and walk.

2.  Have you ever exercised in a sauna?? Yeah, well, that was me this morning.  I am all showered and dressed for the day and sitting in my air conditioned house STILL sweating.

3.  It seems so hopeless, like I have to do this every single day for a whole month or something before I will notice it even helping me at all.

OK, so give me some encouragement. advice, help, what do you do to work out?

Thanks....

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Go Jen!!!!

I can send you the P90X series. I did it for like a week and then found out about baby number two. It's all indoor and more fun than walking. Have you heard of it? I can call you tomorrow and give you details.

summer said...

the thing that works for me - to do it with someone else. it's some of the best motivation because I know someone else is waiting/counting on me to show up. Last year I walked with a friend on the island - we'd get up and walk from 6-6:45am before kids were awake & we needed to start the school morning routine. I don't know what time the girls leave - but maybe the weather would actually work in your favor at that time...I never liked working out in FL for exactly how you said you felt like you were in a sauna. It's hard to be tempted with that!

Another fun-fun option...ZUMBA! It's the popular new aerobics class that is a lot like latin dancing, so you move a lot, it's upbeat and very catchy....and if you laugh at yourself trying to do some of the moves it burns even more calories! I did a few classes while out in UT & I really enjoyed it...I wish I could find some place close by us here that teaches, but if you can find something like that I'd sign up for it...or take a trial class. I think you'd really like it!

JenJ said...

Thanks Cathy!! YEs, I need to know about this!!
Summer, some great ideas! There are some ladies here who do zumba classes I think. Sounds fun to me! An early morning friend would be great. And I just thought of something. Dustin wants me to start biking with him so that's another option I guess. I appreciate the support. Thanks!!!

Sarah said...

exercise is highly overrated.

Kristi said...

Zumba is so much fun!

JenJ said...

Hahahah!!! I agree it IS overrated! :)

Melanie said...

Hey, so I'm just now getting caught up on blogs, so, hope this advice isn't a day late and a dollar short:) As someone who's always had to work out, I've found that mixing it up is pretty key, as well as making it "your time." If I head out to a yoga class, or maybe a run with my IPod, it feels like alone time where I can just be with my thoughts. Do something where my name is just "melanie" and not "mom." It has always felt pretty empowering to reconnect to that part of myself. I'll work with a trainer for a few months, I'll find a new class at the gym for a while, I'll find a race and train for that. Having a schedule like that helps keep me in the mode. I work out at 24 Hour Fitness and I'm usually up at the one in Southlake sooooo, if you go there let me know and we'll hit some classes together! Basically finding something you LIKE to do, is what will work because you'll do it consistantly. Good luck!!

Dove Self Esteem Fund